Fraud & ID Theft - ACU's Response
Considering all of the information we've given you, you might ask:"What is Ashland CU doing to protect my account?"
The answer to that question is - Lots! The below list is just a few of the many security measures we have in place for detecting fraud and ID theft. The true
list is actually much longer, but to list everything here would actually give potential thieves or fraudsters more information than they should know. However,
you can rest assured that your account information is safe with Ashland CU, and we will go out of our way to help you combat fraud and ID theft on your account.
- Our credit and debit cards are backed by Visa's fraud systems, which detect activities that go outside your "normal" spending areas or amounts. Such activities
may be temporarily blocked while the activity is verified.
- We restrict the amount of transactions that can take place on your debit card in a single day. While we can temporarily lift restrictions to allow large purchases,
the limit exists to prevent exposure to fraud in the event that your card is stolen.
- When fraud is detected, we can also restrict specific types of transactions for all members (for instance - all transactions originating in a given country).
Sometimes just one member reporting a fraudulent charge can prevent hundreds more.
- Our web form on the contact us page has an option to "Report ID Theft or Fraud". These messages are routed straight to our security
team 24 hours a day, which can react accordingly.
- In cases where phishing, vishing, or smishing are detected, we have partnered with a security firm to help eliminate the fraudulent websites or phone numbers
used to perpetuate the scam.
- Our online banking solution makes use of multiple-factor authentication. Each time you log in, the system checks not only the information you know (your member
number, password, challenge questions) but also what you have (a recognized computer). If it detects that you are logging in from a new location, it requests
more information to help verify your identity.